The Postings page for the requisition.option lets employees refer a job by email to a candidate, such as a colleague or relative. This option is only available for jobs that are eligible to be referred. Jobs are eligible for referral when they are posted to the default external career site for the requisition, as defined on the
If the job is eligible for referral and contains a referral bonus, the referral bonus appears at the top of the job details page. If Internal Career Site Preferences are set to hide referral relationships, then the referral bonus does not display.
Pre-Step Note: At least one email must be configured for the Referral to External Email email in Email Administration in order for users to be able to refer jobs from the internal career site. If an email is not configured, then users will receive an error message when they click . The email should include the REFERRAL.LINK email tag so that the referral is linked to the employee who referred the job. This tag also allows the referred candidate quick access to the job details page.
To access the Internal Career Site page, go to
|EMAIL NAME||EMAIL DESCRIPTION||ACTION TYPE|
|Referral to External User||
This email is triggered when a user refers a requisition in the internal career site or Career Center (Legacy). The email can be sent to Hiring Manager, Referral Recipient, Requisition Owner(s), Requisition Reviewer(s), or a specific user. This email can be configured as a Notification type email. This email is active by default and can be found in the Recruitment action type section in Email Management.
Note: A custom message can be added by the sender. In order for a custom message to appear to the recipient, the EMAIL.CUSTOM.MESSAGE email tag must be included when configuring the email in Email Administration.
To refer a candidate:
- Navigate to the job details page by clicking the name of the job on the job search page of the internal career site.
- Click at the top or bottom of the job details page. This opens the Refer a Candidate flyout.
- Enter the email address in the Candidate's Email field. This is the email address of the person you would like to refer.
- Select Yes or No to indicate whether you are related to the candidate.
- Enter a message in the Message to candidate field. This is optional. Note: This message only appears in the email if the administrator configured the email to allow the message to appear.
The administrator must include the EMAIL.CUSTOM.MESSAGE email tag in the email.
- Copy the link in the Note: When candidates apply to a job via the copied referral link, they will follow the same referral process as referrals that are sent via email. However, sharing the referral link on a social media platform does not add an entry to your My Referrals page unless a candidate applies via the link. field if you would like to use it to refer the candidate via mediums other than email, such as social media platforms.
- Select the language in the Preferred Language field in which you would like the email to appear for the candidate.
- Click Note: The email may have been configured by the administrator to be sent to members of the hiring team as well. . This emails the job referral to the candidate.
An artist who works at a film company has a significant following on a social media platform. Whenever she becomes aware of new art production jobs, she shares them with her followers. She finds a new job on her organization's internal career site and copies the link from the Refer a Candidate flyout. She pastes the link into a new post on social media. Two of her followers apply to the job, and she can track their referral progress on her My Referrals page.
Frequently Asked Questions
Credit for referring a job to a candidate is dependent upon the way your organization has set up referral credit.
- Candidate Applies Via Referral Email - If the candidate you referred applies to the job after clicking the referral link in the referral email, then you will receive credit for the referral.
- Candidate Applies with Email Address Used in Referral - If the candidate you referred applies to the job using the same email address to which the referral was sent, then you will receive credit for the referral.
- Candidate Applies to Any Job After You Refer Them - If your system administrator has enabled the setting that allows the referring employee to essentially "own" the candidate, and the candidate you referred a) applies to any job after clicking the referral link in the referral email, or b) applies to any job using the same email address to which the referral was sent, then you will receive credit for the referral.
If the candidate applies using the referral link in the referral email that you sent, then you are considered the referrer, regardless of how many other employees sent the candidate a referral.
However, if the candidate applies using a different method than the referral link in the email but includes the same email address that was used to send the referral email, then the referral credit goes to the oldest valid referral.
If a bonus is configured for the job you referred, you will need to contact someone within your organization for information about when you my receive the referral bonus.