Termination reasons enable organizations to track the reasons why employees are terminated, including whether the employee left the organization voluntarily or involuntarily. Termination reasons are pre-defined with default names and categories so that specific functionality can be associated with termination reasons within the system. Although the system uses pre-defined termination reasons, administrators can configure the termination reason names to match their organization's terminology.
Termination reasons can only be selected for a user when their user status is set to Terminated.
The availability of this section is controlled by a backend setting. In addition, the Termination Reasons section is only available to administrators who have permission to manage termination reasons within User Preferences.
To access the User Preferences page, go to. Select the arrow to the right of a section name to expand the section.
|PERMISSION NAME||PERMISSION DESCRIPTION||CATEGORY|
|User Preferences - Core Information: View||Grants ability to view the User Preferences administrator page. This permission does not allow administrators to modify the preferences. This permission cannot be constrained. This is an administrator permission.||Core Administration|
|User Preferences - Termination Reasons: Manage||Grants ability to manage Termination Reasons on the User Preferences administrator page. Administrators must also have the User Preferences - Core Information: View permission to access the User Preferences page. This permission cannot be constrained. This is an administrator permission.||Core Administration|
Termination Reason - Add
To add a new termination reason, click the See User Preferences - Termination Reason - Add/Edit.button. This opens the Add Termination Reason pop-up.
Default Involuntary Termination Reasons
The following involuntary termination reasons are available:
- Reduction in force/Layoff
- Unsatisfactory performance
- Policy violation
- Forced retirement
- Poor attendance
- Conviction of a Crime
- End of Contract
- End of casual employment
Default Voluntary Termination Reasons
The following voluntary termination reasons are available:
- Better Opportunity
- Career Change
- Manager dissatisfaction
- Work Location
- Work Schedule
- Lack of Training/Development
- Lack of Career Growth
- Employee-job fit
- Company leadership
- Inadequate Compensation
- Inadequate Benefits
- Job abandonment
- Declined offer
- Legally ineligible
- Fail to return from leave
Termination Reason Table
The following information is displayed for each termination reason:
- Termination Reason - Termination reasons are sorted alphabetically. If the reason name has been modified, then the modified reason name is displayed in this column. This is the termination reason name that is displayed on the User Record.
- Termination Reason Category - This displays the system-defined category that cannot be modified.
- Active - When a termination reason is active, it can be selected when creating or editing a user. If a termination reason is deactivated, the termination reason continues to be associated with the user. However, inactive termination reasons cannot be selected when creating or editing a user.
The following options may be available from the Options drop-down menu:
- Edit - Select this option to edit the termination reason. See User Preferences - Termination Reason - Add/Edit.
- Delete - Select this option to delete the termination reason. This option is not available if the termination reason has been associated with a user. A confirmation pop-up opens to confirm the deletion.