To manage custom fields, go to. Then select the appropriate tab on the left.
|PERMISSION NAME||PERMISSION DESCRIPTION||CATEGORY|
|Training Custom Fields||Grants ability to create and edit custom fields to be used for one or more learning object types. This is an administrator permission.||Learning - Administration|
|Training Request Form Custom Fields - Manage||Grants access to create and edit custom fields used for Training Request Forms. This is an administrator permission.||Training Forms Administration|
Search for a Field
To search for a custom field:
- Name - Enter the name of the custom field in the field, up to 100 characters.
- Type - From the drop-down list, select the appropriate custom field type.
- Include Inactive - Select this option to include inactive custom fields in the search.
The Fields table displays the following information for each of the existing custom fields:
- Title - The custom field title.
- Type - The custom field type.
- Created By - The creator of the custom field.
- Active - Select this option to activate the custom field. If this field is deselected, the custom field is not available in other areas of the system.
In the options are available in the Options column:
- Edit - Select this icon to edit the existing custom field.
- Remove - Select this icon to remove the custom field.
Note: Deleting a custom field permanently deletes the field from the system and any data associated with the field is lost. To remove a custom field from a learning object (LO), but keep the data, a best practice is to edit the custom field and remove visibility from all training types.
- Display event fields to end-users on the session details page - Select this option to have custom fields for events automatically display on the sessions for the corresponding event as well.
- Click this link to define the display order of existing custom fields and view for which types of learning object the custom fields will display.
To create a Training custom field:
- Click Add Field icon .
- Name - Enter the name of custom field that will be visible to end user. If multiple languages are enabled, click the Translate icon to the right of the field to localize the values to the other available languages.
- Email Tag - Enter the name for the email tag to be associated with this field and use to retrieve the value of this field in email communications.
- Best practice is to create email tags in all capital letters. Custom tags are prefixed with the word CUSTOM. For example, for the custom field called Profit Net, create the tag using PROFIT.NET and the system will convert this to CUSTOM.PROFIT.NET
- Type - From the drop-down list, select the type of field you are creating. The following options are available. See Custom Field Admin - Custom Field Type Options.
- Branched Dropdown
- Conditional Numeric Field - See below for Conditional Numeric Field validation options.
- Date field
- Multiple Checkbox
- Numeric Field
- Radio Button
- Scrolling Text Box
- Short Text Box
- Active Training Type - Select the types of learning objects for which this custom field is visible.
- Response Required - Select whether administrators who are creating these learning objects must set a value in the custom field.
- Editable on Transcript by Admin - Select whether an administrator can change the value of this field for individual users by accessing their transcript. An example of when this might be used is for a credit field where you might change the credits a user received for this learning object.
- Visible to End User on Transcript - Select whether end users can see this field with the value the administrator selected when the administrator created the LO. This applies to the Learning Details and Training Details on Transcript. If this option is deselected, then only the administrator can see the field.
- Editable on Transcript by End User - Select this option to allow editing and changing of the value for the field. This can be useful when creating custom fields for external training, in which users are entering information about the training. Note: This field is only available if the Visible to End User option is selected for the training type. If a field is available for external training, it is a best practice to make the field visible and editable by end user to ensure the end user can use the field when adding their external training.
Lock History Rules
A user's transcript history and course completion certificate information is locked once the learning object's (LO) status is Complete. Updates to custom Training fields do not influence the transcript history or certificate when the user achieves the status of Complete, even if a custom field is removed.
Considerations and Exceptions
Transcript Custom Fields - If no value is set for a custom field within user's Transcript Details, the default value saved for the field in the Course Catalog is displayed. If no such value is set for the training, then the default value set in Custom Field Administration is displayed.
- Historical Certificates - When printing historical certificates, the certificate shows the custom field value at the time the user achieved a Complete status for the LO. If the custom field value changes, then the change displays on the certificate.
- Learning Assignment - Assign New Occurrence simulates recurrence. If a user is assigned a new occurrence of training, the Transcript Details page shows a new instance of the training. If the value of the custom field changes, then the Transcript Details page displays the new value. For certificates, the historical value of the custom field is preserved. Note: Because only one instance of the value is stored, the old value is removed. For reporting, the new value displays if a second instance exists.
- Transcript Details Page - If the value in a custom field is removed after the user achieves a status of Complete, the custom field still displays on the Transcript Details page and certificate but is a blank field.
- Inactivated Custom Field - If a custom field is inactivated, the field does not display on the user's Transcript Details page when the LO has a status of Complete. Only active items display on the page. Certificates display all items that are active at the time the user achieved a status of Complete.
- Reporting - Users can only report on currently existing and active custom fields.
Ordering - Custom field options appear to users in the order in which the options were added and display on Custom Field Administration page. For example, if "Colorado" is added before the option "Alaska" in a dropdown custom field, the options will display in this order.