Validators can validate the competency items for an Observation Checklist.
To access the Observation Checklist page, go to. This page displays checklists in which you are identified as a verifier. Click the appropriate checklist link. You can validate a checklist item, select a competency target, and add a rating.
|PERMISSION NAME||PERMISSION DESCRIPTION||CATEGORY|
|Observation Checklists - Edit Validation Details||Grants access to edit a validation record for a competency or item for a user's checklist. This is an administrator permission.||Performance - Administration|
Validate a Checklist Item
Click the check box next to the item and a check appears next to the skill name. Also, the verifier's name displays with the validation date and validation method if applicable. This indicates that the validator believes the user demonstrate the corresponding skill.
- Once a skill is validated, the verifier name is displayed, and the verifier can select the validation date and validation method if applicable. If Validation Method is disabled, the Method column does not appear.
- A competency is not validated until each skill within it is validated.
If a checklist item is not validated, no check appears next to the skill name. A verifier for the checklist sees a check box next to each skill that is not yet validated.
When the option to require the competency target as the minimum rating is selected for the checklist, the following functionality is implemented within the checklist:
- If the verifier checks the competency item checkbox to validate the item, the rating selection for the competency item is automatically set to the minimum rating target for the competency. The rating can be set to a higher rating until the checklist is saved, if necessary.
- If the verifier selects a rating for the competency item that is at or above the minimum rating target for the competency, then the competency item checkbox is automatically checked and the item is validated.
- If the verifier selects a rating for the competency item that is below the minimum rating target for the competency, then the competency item checkbox is disabled and the item cannot be validated until the competency item rating meets the minimum rating target for the competency.
- When the verifier saves the checklist, all validated competency items are no longer available for rating or validating. However, the Rating drop-down menu remains available for all non-validated competency items.
Add Ratings to a Checklist Item
Click thebutton to add ratings to a checklist item and save their ratings without validating the checklist item. The system saves the rating, method, and date settings. After saving the ratings, the validator can open the competencies to view the ratings and make updates if necessary.
When a rating is added or modified from the Rating drop-down list, the system automatically saves the new Rating value.
Click thebutton to save their ratings and validations.
If a checklist item is updated and saved but is not validated, the observation checklist Status and Progress Bar are not affected. The checklist Status is only updated when at least one item is validated. The checklist Progress Bar is updated when at least one competency is validated, which occurs when all items within the competency are validated.
Once the skill is validated, the validator cannot undo the validation.
If an observation checklist requires manager approval and the approval is denied, when the validator returns to the checklist, all validations are cleared from all checklist items, but the ratings, rating dates, and rating methods are preserved. The validator can then update these fields, validate the checklist items, and resubmit the checklist for approval.
Clickto discard all unsaved ratings and validations.
Important Note: Clicking the button on the checklist page discards unsaved item validations, but preserves item ratings.