Search Preferences - General
Defining Search Preferences is a multiple step process. The first step is setting the General preferences. The Search Preferences - General page enables administrators to configure the following:
- Whether or not the Global Search option is available in the upper-right corner of system pages
- Which search types are available to users
- The order in which the search type filters appear to users on the Global Search page
To access the Search Preferences - General page, go to.
|PERMISSION NAME||PERMISSION DESCRIPTION||CATEGORY|
The availability of this page is controlled by a backend setting.
Select the Display the search box on the top right hand corner option to enable the Global Search box in the upper-right corner of each system page.
This section enables administrators to determine which search types are available to users. In addition, the administrator can determine the order in which the search filters appear to users in the Search Types drop-down list.
The Search Type column displays each of the available search types. The following search types may be available:
- General Search - This search type is available for all portals and it searches all search types in a combined search.
- Training - This search type is available for portals using the Learning solution.
- People - This search type is available for all portals.
- Connect - This search type is available for portals using the new Knowledge Bank and Communities functionality.
- Certifications - This search type is only available for portals using Certifications.
- Forms - This search type is only available for portals using Form Management (this does not apply to the old Forms Management functionality).
Enable Search Type
To enable users to use a particular search type within Global Search, select the Available for Searching option. By default, this option is selected for General Search, and this option is deselected for all other search types. Note: At least one search type must be selected. Also, if this option is selected for General Search, at least two other search types must be selected.
When the Available for Searching option is selected for a search type, the following occurs:
- Users can search for items within the search type via Global Search.
- Administrators can configure the search settings for the search type by selecting the search type name in the left navigation bar.
- The Display Order column displays the order in which the search type appears to users in the list of filters, and the search type can be reordered.
Configure Search Type Display Order
The Display Order column displays the order in which the search types appear to users in the list of filters. This also determines the order in which search results are displayed to users. Drag and drop the search types in to the desired order. The General Search type cannot be reordered and it is always displayed first when it is enabled.
Select this option to overwrite custom settings for child division OUs. If you overwrite custom settings for child division OUs, the selected settings are applied to both new and existing child OUs. Any previously customized child OUs are updated with the selected settings.
- If there are no customizations to the child OU, then the parent OU customizations are applied to all child OUs.
- Overwrite custom settings checkbox setting
- If this option is selected, all child OU customizations are deleted from the database, which means the parent OU customizations will be applied to new and existing child OUs.
- If this option is unselected, all existing child OU customizations will remain unchanged, and any new child OUs will inherit the parent OU customizations by default.
- If a child OU has been customized to display any widgets, then regardless of the parent OU customizations, the child OU customizations are applied.
- If a child OU has been customized to hide all widgets, then parent OU customizations will take precedence and will be applied.
Note: This option applies to all tabs within Search Preferences (e.g., General, People, Training), not just the current tab.
To continue modifying Search Preferences, click the appropriate tab in the left navigation bar.
To save changes for all pages within Search Preferences, click.
To discard all unsaved changes made on all pages within Search Preferences, click.