To create a new version of a material, on the Material Administration page, click the Create Version icon for the appropriate material.
This option is only available for the latest version of the material. Also, this option is only available if Versioning with Append is enabled and if the administrator has the Material Version with Append - Manage permission.
Design Note: An updated interface is available for this page, which can be enabled by administrators in Feature Activation Preferences. With the new design, the functionality of the page is unchanged.
|PERMISSION NAME||PERMISSION DESCRIPTION||CATEGORY|
|Material Version with Append - Manage||
This permission only applies to organizations that are using Versioning with Append for materials.
|Learning - Administration|
A material can only have two active versions at the same time. If an administrator attempts to create a new version of a material that already has two active versions, then a pop-up opens to warn the administrator.
- If both active versions are effective, then the administrator is given the option to deactivate one version prior to creating a new version. From the pop-up, select the version to deactivate and click to cancel the creation action. . Or, click
- If one active version is effective and the other active version is pending activation, then the administrator is given the option to deactivate the pending version prior to creating a new version. From the pop-up, click to deactivate the pending version. Or, click to cancel the creation action.
Material Versioning Considerations
When a new version of a material is created, the following considerations apply:
- When one version is inactivated, the other active version also becomes inactivated. Example: Both version 1.0 and version 2.0 would become inactive if one or the other is inactivated.
When a training purpose is associated with the previous material version, the training purpose IS included with users' new version of the training on their transcripts, and the training purpose is also attached to the new version of the training in the Course Catalog.
- The pricing from the previous version is NOT automatically copied to the new version. Administrators must configure pricing for the new version in Course Catalog.
- The training equivalencies are NOT automatically copied to the new version. Administrators must configure training equivalencies for the new version in Course Catalog. Note: This behavior is different from Replace Versioning, where existing training equivalencies are automatically copied to the new version.
- Any certifications or development plans that contain a previous version of the material are NOT impacted.
- Any prerequisites, pre-work, or post work associated with the original material ARE automatically copied to the new version.
- If a material is a prerequisite, pre-work, or post work for another LO, then the new version is automatically set as the prerequisite, pre-work, or post work for the LO.
- If a material is included within the structure of a cohort, then the cohort structure is not impacted by the new version of the material. That is, the old version of the material remains associated with the cohort.
Sarah is an administrator, and she is responsible for all compliance training at ACME Inc. On August 15, 2015, Sarah receives an email from the Chief Compliance Officer informing her that a new factory procedure for 2016 is available. All employees working in the factory should be able to start being trained on September 1, 2015, as the new procedure will be effective on January 1, 2016. The same factory procedure for 2015 should also be available until December 31, 2015.
- Sarah creates a new version of the Factory Procedure for 2016 using the new material versioning functionality.
- Sarah uses the Append option because she wants two materials to be available on users' transcripts at the same time.
- Sarah also adds a Start Date of January 1, 2016 for the new procedure.
- Sarah assigns the new version to all employees at ACME Inc. who have the previous version on their transcript.
- The Factory Procedure for 2015 will be automatically deactivated when the Factory Procedure for 2016 starts.
John is working in the factory at ACME Inc.
- John sees the 2015 and the 2016 version of the Factory Procedure on his transcript.
- John can access both versions of the procedure from September 1, 2015 until January 1, 2016. On January 1, 2016, only the 2016 version is available.
Use Case - One Version on User's Transcript
David is an administrator, and he is responsible for all management training at ACME Inc. On August 15, 2015, David receives a call from the Legal Manager informing him that a new anti-harassment policy is available for the State of California, and it is immediately applicable. All managers working in California should be assigned the new version of the policy, and the previous version is obsolete.
- David creates a new version of the Anti-Harassment Policy using the new material versioning functionality.
- David uses the Replace option because he wants only the new version of the material to be available on users' transcripts.
- David adds a Start Date of August 15, 2015 for the new policy.
- David assigns the new version to all managers in California at ACME Inc.
- The previous version of the Anti-Harassment Policy is deactivated when the new version is created.
Sam is working in California as a manager at ACME Inc.
- Before August 15, 2015, Sam can access the previous version of the Anti-Harassment Policy.
- On August 15, 2015, Sam can only access the new version of the Anti-Harassment Policy. The previous version is automatically made inactive on his transcript.
Use Case - Accessing Version Assignment Details
Jean is an auditor at ACME Inc. On February 14, 2016, Jean meets the Compliance Training Manager and wants to access the completion information for the Factory Procedures material.
- Jean randomly selects 50 users who are working at ACME Inc.
The Compliance Training Manager shows Jean that the learning management system tracks all completion of the Factory Procedures material since 2015 when the material was made mandatory by the FDA.
- The Compliance Training Manager searches for each of the 50 users and accesses the Assignment and Versions History information on each user's transcript.
- Jean asks the Compliance Training Manager to print the PDF of the 50 users' Training Version Details for his file.
Use Cases: Material Training Purposes Copied to User's Transcript
Active Training Purpose:
John has a material on his transcript with a training purpose of "Mandatory Training." When Jenny, the administrator, creates a new version of the material, John will see the training purpose "Mandatory Training" for version 2 of the material on his transcript.
Inactive Training Purpose:
Henry has a material on his transcript with an inactive training purpose of "Optional Training." When Jenny, the administrator, creates a new version of the material, Henry receives version 2 of the material with the training purpose of "Optional Training" copied over to it. If the training purpose is reactivated later, the material will have the “Optional Training” training purpose attached to it.
Use Case #4: Training Purposes copied to User's Transcript When Some Versions Skipped
John has a material with the training purpose, "Mandatory Training" on his transcript. In Oct 2017, Jenny, the administrator, created a new version of the material, but she did not push the new version to John's transcript.
In May 2018, Jenny creates another new version of the material, and pushes it to John's transcript. John sees the training purpose "Mandatory Training" for the latest version of the material which was added to his transcript.