This section enables administrators to set training equivalents for this LO. When a user completes a training equivalent for the LO, then they are exempted from being assigned the LO. End users may also be able to view and select from a group of equivalent training when searching for training. Training equivalents may be a different delivery medium (Online Course, Event, Material). This option is only available for users that have permission to run the LO Equivalency Report. Note: If any one of the languages the training supports overlaps with the language of the training to which is being added as an equivalency, the system will tag it as training equivalence and not language equivalence.
|PERMISSION NAME||PERMISSION DESCRIPTION||CATEGORY|
|LO Equivalency Report||Grants access to LO Equivalency Report which allows administrators to view all items that are set to equivalent in the course catalog.||Reports - Training|
To add a training equivalent, follow these steps:
- Click the link, which is located on the Course Catalog - General page.
- Search for training.
- Click blue plus icon to select training.
- Click .
- Bidirectional - check to make the training qualify for completion if user completes one or the other training.
- Apply Retroactively - To retroactively apply any training equivalents or language equivalents to users' transcripts, scroll down to the Training Equivalence section of the Course Catalog - General page. Check the Apply Retroactively option next to any training equivalents or language equivalents that should be retroactively applied to users' transcripts. For more information about applying training or language equivalents retroactively, see the Apply Retroactively section below.
If the Apply Retroactively option is selected and the button is clicked, the administrator receives a pop-up which indicates the estimated number of impacted user transcript records. Note that the estimated number of impacted transcripts includes all users who currently have both training items within the equivalency pair on their transcript, regardless of whether the user’s status will be updated as a result of the administrator applying the equivalency retroactively.
If the administrator clicks, the training or language equivalent updates are applied to the training item and retroactively applied to affected users. If the administrator clicks , the administrator is returned to the Course Catalog and no updates are applied.
After clicking the button, the administrator is redirected to the Course Catalog. The application of equivalencies to user transcripts takes time to process, which may vary based on volume. To see when processing is complete, the administrator can return to the Course Catalog page for either training within the equivalency pair. While the equivalencies are in the process of being applied, all fields within the Training and Language Equivalencies row of the Course Catalog page are disabled, and the word “Processing” appears within that section until processing is complete. The administrator can manually refresh the page until the word “Processing” has disappeared and the equivalency is again available for editing. All other fields of the training's Course Catalog can still be edited during processing.
- Example 1: A user has both Training A and Training B on their transcript. The status of Training A is Complete, and the status of Training B is Registered. After the training or language equivalency is applied, the status of Training B changes to Completed Equivalent.
- Example 2: A user has both Training A and Training B on their transcript, and both training items are in a Registered status. After the training or language equivalency is applied, both items retain the Registered status. After the user completes Training A, the status of Training A changes to Completed, and the status of Training B changes to Completed Equivalent.
Any changes made to the training or language equivalence for a training item are recorded in the Equivalency Modification History section for both the Course Catalog and affected users' transcripts. If the training equivalence update is applied retroactively, this is noted in the Modification History.
Any changes are tracked as a part of the Equivalency Modification History in the Course Catalog:
- If an administrator adds a new equivalency which applies retroactively, the following message displays in the Equivalency Modification History: "[Training] added and applied retroactively by [User Full Name] on [Date Time]."
- If an administrator edits an existing equivalency which applies retroactively, the following message displays in the Equivalency Modification History: "[Training] modified and applied retroactively by [User Full Name] on [Date Time]."
If a user’s transcript was impacted as a result of an equivalency being applied retroactively, this is reflected in the Transcript History audit trail for that user on the Training (Transcript) Details page:
- Training: "Edited by FirstName LastName (username) on MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM:SS AM/PM Comments: Training equivalency retroactively applied from Catalog between [training A] and [training B]"
- Language: "Edited by FirstName LastName (username) on MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM:SS AM/PM Comments: Language equivalency retroactively applied from Catalog between [training A] and [training B]"
Additionally, the main details section of the Training (Transcript) Details page displays the date the equivalency was established.
- Bidirectionality settings for training and language equivalencies are respected when applying equivalent credit to users’ transcripts.
- If an equivalency is removed, there is no impact to historical user transcript statuses. This is consistent with existing behavior.
- Whether a training is active or inactive does not impact the ability of the equivalency to trigger a Completed Equivalent status. The only way to prevent a training or language equivalency from triggering a Completed Equivalent status for future user transcripts is to remove the equivalency completely.
Transcript Status Groups
There are two types of pre-completion transcript statuses which behave differently in response to the configuration of an equivalency:
Pre-registration - This status group includes statuses prior to registration, such as Pending Prior Training or Not Activated, and they do not trigger a Completed Equivalent status. If the training is in a pre-registration status, it will update to a Completed Equivalent status upon activation on the user's transcript.
Pre-completion - This status group includes all statuses after registration and before completion, such as In-Progress and Approved. These statuses immediately update to a Completed Equivalent status once the training equivalency has processed.
General Associated Business Rules:
- If Course A is set to be equivalent to Course B, and user has taken course A, the check for equivalency will happen at the time of an item is being assigned or requested. If course B is being assigned to the user and the equivalent rule is valid at the time of assignment, Course B will appear on the transcript as Completed Equivalent.
- If a user has completed the equivalent training of Course A, and he decides to request for Course A anyway, Course A will have a second instance. *Completed Equivalent counts as one instance*
- If a user has already been assigned Course B, and you set up equivalency of Course A and Course B after assignment, the credit for equivalency will not be applied to the user. Training Equivalents only applies to items that are marked equivalent prior to assignment.
- If Test A = Test B, user fails test A and later completed test B, Test A will become completed (equivalent) automatically. The failed attempt will be considered as the first instance.
- If Curriculum A = Curriculum B, All Pre - work / Post- Work = Automatically Satisfied.
When a new version is created with Replace Versioning, all existing equivalence rules will be copied to the next version.
When a new version is created with Append Versioning, existing equivalence rules will be NOT copied to the next version.
- Email Notification: Emails from the newly assigned course will be suspended if equivalence course is completed.
- When an equivalent item is being deactivated, it will show up on the course catalog of the original item.
A training item that has a Completed Equivalent status cannot trigger another equivalent training item to move to a Completed Equivalent status.