The Summarize by field is used to define the dimensions for the chart, which display as the axis of the chart. The dimensions are the fields that summarize the chart. Up to two dimensions can be included in the chart. Any field type can be added to the Summarize by field. The fields should first be added to the report grid in prior to adding them to a chart.
The Summarize By function in the chart is linked to the report summary functionality available in the Summary tab. As a result, you can manage which dimensions are included in the chart via the Chart or the Summary Tab.
- The first level field added to the Summary tab will be the first dimension that will appear in the chart in the Summarize By function and vice versa.
- The second level field added to the Summary tab will be the second dimension that will appear in the chart in the Summarize By function and vice versa.
- The chart supports up to 2-level summaries. If your report has three or more summary levels, only the first two levels will affect the chart.
- When you change the order of the fields in the Summary tab for the first and second level summaries, the order of the dimensions in the Summarize By function will also change to reflect the new order.
- The swap button, which is located between the two dimensions in the Summarize By function of the chart, will swap the order of the two dimensions in the chart, as well as the order of the summary of those fields in the Summary Tab.
Add Dimensions to Summarize By
To add dimensions:
- Type the field name into the text box in the Summarize by field. The list of matching fields appears as a drop-down. Select the desired field from the drop-down.
- Or, click the drop-down in the Summarize by field and select a field from the list of available fields.
- Or, click the options drop-down in the report grid for the desired field. Then, click the option. This adds the field as the first dimension, if a dimension is not already added. If a dimension already displays in the first dimension text box, then the dimension is added as the second dimension.
- Or, add fields to the Summary tab by clicking on the Summary tab and inputting the fields.
When at least one dimension is added to the Summarize by field, the report can be refreshed, and the chart preview displays. Adding a second dimension summarizes the chart first by the first dimension added, and then by the second dimension. Additional dimensions added to the Summarize by field replace the second dimension with the most recently added dimension.
- Once a field is added as a dimension in the chart, it should not be removed from the report grid.
- Adding fields in the Summary tab will not automatically create a chart. You must next add fields for the measure and select the button to generate a chart.
- The View as Hierarchy summary option is not available in the chart. Creating a chart with a hierarchy is not currently supported. If you add a hierarchy field to the Summary tab, such as an OU (organizational unit), and then select the View as Hierarchy option, you will not be able to add that field as a dimension for the chart. To add a the field as a dimension in the chart, first deselect the View as Hierarchy option on the Summary tab.
Date fields can be added to the Summarize by field. When added, you are able to group the date by clicking on the available drop-down in the Summary tab. The user can select one of the following date options by which to group the date when summarizing the chart:
- Calendar Quarter
- Calendar Year
Change Order of Dimensions to Summarize By
When there are two string field types added as dimensions, the order of the dimensions can be switched by clicking the Swap icon that displays between the dimensions. Once the dimensions are switched, click thebutton to update the chart.
The Swap icon is disabled when only one dimension is added to the chart.
Once the report is refreshed, the report grid adds a column that displays the summarized data for the dimensions defined for the chart. This summary column also appears when you summarize the report by adding fields to the Summary tab in the report.
The Summarize By chart function and Summary tab report function are linked and will summarize the report the same way.