Observation Checklist - Create/Edit - General Page
Use the General page to specify the general details of the checklist, including competency model, checklist name, availability, and validation method.
If you are creating a new observation checklist, this is the first step in the process.
To access observation checklists, go to
- To create a new checklist, select the Create New Checklist link. You must complete the General tab to move to the next tab.
- To edit an observation checklist, in the Options column, select the edit icon for the appropriate checklist.
|PERMISSION NAME||PERMISSION DESCRIPTION||CATEGORY|
|Competency Assessment Model Admin - Edit||Grants ability to edit competency models. This permission cannot be constrained. This is an administrator permission.||Performance - Administration|
|Competency Assessment Model Admin - Manage||Grants ability to create, edit, delete, and view competency models. This permission cannot be constrained. This is an administrator permission.||Performance - Administration|
|Competency Assessment Model Admin - View||Grants ability to view competency models. This permission cannot be constrained. This is an administrator permission.||Performance - Administration|
Enter or edit the information in each section as defined below.
Click anywhere in the Competency Model field or click the Select icon to select a competency model. Narrow the search results by entering a name in the Competency Model Name field and clicking Search. Or, locate the name on the appropriate page and click the name. The pop-up closes automatically when a competency model name is clicked and the model name then displays in the Competency Model field. Note: The selected model establishes the competencies and skills that are included in the checklist.
- When selecting a competency model, administrators can only view and select a competency model if they are within the Admin Visibility settings for the competency model and if they have permission to view, edit, or manage competency models.
- Only one model can be selected per checklist.
- Only Competency Item type Competency Models can be used in an Observation Checklist. If your Competency Model is a Behavior type Competency Model, it will not appear in the list because it is ineligible to be included.
- Editing: When editing, the competency model cannot be changed. To keep an existing checklist but change the competency model, a best practice is to copy the checklist, and then change the competency model on the General page.
Select one of the following lock options:
- Include all competency model changes in the checklist - This option is selected by default. When this option is selected, all instances of the checklist are unlocked. Any added competencies to the competency model will cause any users in a Completed status to go to an In Progress status and the added competency item will need to be validated. For example, if a checklist is completed and the checklist contains the "Administration of Medicine" competency and a skill is added to the competency, the checklist will reverse in status from Complete to In Progress. The user must now demonstrate the added skill to return to a status of Completed. However, if you remove an item from the competency via the Competency Bank, the changes do not propagate to any model with that competency, and therefore would not update any checklist.
- Prevent future competency model changes from being included in Completed checklists - When this option is selected, completed instances of the checklist are locked and do not accept any updates to the checklist competencies. Instances of the checklist that are not completed are unlocked and do accept updates to the checklist competencies.
- If an observation checklist is pending manager approval, then this checklist is not considered completed. In this situation, any changes to the checklist's competency model are propagated to the checklist. If an item or competency is added to the competency model, the user must complete the new item or competency and resubmit the checklist for manager approval.
- Prevent future competency model changes from being included in any checklist - When this option is selected, all instances of the checklist are fully locked.
When an observation checklist is locked, the following competency model changes do not affect an observation checklist:
- Adding or removing an item or behavior from a competency within the checklist's competency model.
- Adding or removing a competency from the checklist's competency model.
Once the observation checklist is deployed to users, the Competency Changes option cannot be changed.
If Learning Object is selected as the checklist type on the Preferences step, then the checklist is automatically set to be locked, regardless of the selected Competency Changes setting.
Note: This option is only available when first creating the checklist. Once it has been created, this option cannot be modified.
This option determines whether competency validation dates are locked once the checklist is completed.
When this option is selected, competency validation dates are continuously updated with the latest validation date until the checklist is completed. For example, if a competency within the checklist is validated multiple times prior to completing the checklist, then the validation date reflects the latest validation date. However, once the checklist is completed, all validation dates are locked, and they will not be updated if the competency is validated again. If the checklist requires electronic signature for checklist completion, then the observer only signs the checklist when it is completed.
When this option is not selected, competency validation dates are continuously updated with the latest validation date even after the checklist is completed. For example, if a competency within the checklist is validated prior to completing the checklist and is then validated again after the checklist is completed, then the checklist reflects the latest validation date, even after the checklist is completed. If the checklist requires electronic signature for checklist completion, then the observer must sign the checklist each time the validation date is updated after the initial completion.
If the Competency Changes field is set to Include all competency model changes in this checklist, then the Validation Changes option is unselected and cannot be selected. Otherwise, the Validation Changes option is selected by default.
Display Model Name - Select this option to keep the checklist name the same as the associated competency model.
Define Name - Select this option to define a unique name for the competency model. A blank text field displays below the radio button. Enter the name you would like to use. If multiple languages are enabled for your portal, select the Translate icon to translate the field into other available languages.
The checklist name appears on the Performance Observation Checklist page for verifiers and end users and also displays on the Competency Details page and in reporting.
- Editing: When editing, the administrator may change the checklist name at any time and it automatically updates for end users, verifiers, and the administrator.
Display Model Description - Select this option to keep the checklist description the same as the associated competency model.
Define Description - Select this option to define a unique description for the competency model. A blank text field displays below the radio button. Enter the description you would like to use. If multiple languages are enabled for your portal, select the Translate icon to translate the field into other available languages.
- The checklist description appears when viewing a checklist on the Checklist page and also displays on the Competency Details page and in reporting.
- Editing: When editing, the administrator may change the checklist description at any time and it is automatically updated for end users, verifiers, and the administrator.
This option enables administrators to control the default display of checklist items on the Verifier view and Employee view of the Checklist Page. When this option is selected, the system expands the observation checklist by default for validator and employee views. If this option is not selected, the observation checklist is collapsed for validator and employee views.
Select which roles can leave comments or notes at the Competency Details page level: Manager, Verifier, User. If no role is selected, notes and comments are disabled for the checklist.
- Editing: When editing, the Allow Comments selections can be modified. Upon saving, users' checklists are updated.
Select which roles can add attachments to a user's checklist. Options are Manager, Verifier, User. If no role is selected, attachments are disabled for the checklist.
Click Add Attachment to add attachments as follows:
- Up to three total attachments can be added to a checklist. For example, if a user adds three attachments to a checklist, the manager and verifier cannot add any attachments because the maximum number has been reached.
- Acceptable file types are: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, pdf, txt, rtf, gif, jpg.
- The maximum file size is 1 MB.
- The administrator is not limited to the number of attachments they can add.
- Editing: When editing, attachment options can be edited at any time. Upon saving, the selected options are applied to checklists that are assigned to users.
- Changing the Attachment Settings: When editing, if you deselect the User box, users can no longer add attachments. But, any attachments previously added to the checklist by a user remain. A user cannot remove previously added attachments. Administrators always have the ability to add or remove attachments added by any role.
Rating Scale Options
Include a rating scale for every item on the checklist - Check this option to allow users to rate each item within the checklist. Checking the box enables the following additional options:
- Scale Type - When a rating scale is included in the checklist, this option enables administrators to choose whether the results of the observation checklist are displayed as an average rating or a summarized score. When the Rating option is selected, the checklist results are displayed as an average rating based on the user's ratings. When Score is selected, the checklist results are displayed as a summarized score and pass/fail options are available below this field. The Score value is calculated by combining the point value assigned to individual ratings within the competency model to determine the total value.
- Automatic Failure Threshold - This option only appears if Score is selected in the Scale Type field. Select this option to set an automatic failure threshold. When this option is selected, the administrator must set a specific score or percentage as the threshold. Select whether the threshold is set as a score or percentage from the drop-down list. The pass/fail threshold should represent the minimum number of points or percentage that is required for passing the checklist. Point totals or percentages that are below the threshold result in a fail. Point totals or percentages that meet or exceed the threshold result in a pass. The pass/fail threshold for the observation checklist uses the Total Score achieved during the validation of the competency model. Note: The maximum possible score for the selected competency model is displayed to the right of the Automatic Failure Threshold option. This should be considered when specifying the threshold score. The Automatic Failure Threshold must be less than the maximum possible score.
- Rating Scale - If a competency model is selected in the Competency Model field, then the rating scale for the selected competency model is displayed so that the administrator can view the ratings, points, or scores that are included. Administrators can customize the checklist rating scale and decide which ratings appear to verifiers by clicking the Modify Scale link.
- Display Options - Select how the checklist appears: numerically, textually, or both.
- Numeric - When Numeric is selected, only the numeric score value is displayed.
- Text - When Text is selected, only the text rating value is displayed; this option is only available if Rating is selected as the Scale Type.
- Numeric and Text - The Numeric and Text option displays both the numeric and text rating values.
- Rating Options - Select one of the following options:
- Validate the item when the competency target is reached - When this option is selected and the minimum rating target is achieved for a competency, then the competency item is automatically considered to be validated and the competency checkbox within the observation checklist is automatically checked by the system. Important: When this option is selected, a competency item can be manually validated even if the minimum rating target is not reached for the competency.
- Require the validator to check off the competency item - When this option is selected, the verifier is responsible for validating the competency item by checking the competency checkbox within the observation checklist. When the competency checkbox within the observation checklist is checked, the competency item is considered validated even if the competency item rating does not meet the minimum rating target for the competency.
- Require the competency target as the minimum rating - When this option is selected, a competency item must receive a rating that meets the minimum rating target for the competency in order to be validated. When this option is selected, the following functionality is implemented within the checklist:
- If the verifier checks the competency item checkbox to validate the item, the rating selection for the competency item is automatically set to the minimum rating target for the competency. The rating can be set to a higher rating until the checklist is saved, if necessary.
- If the verifier selects a rating for the competency item that is at or above the minimum rating target for the competency, then the competency item checkbox is automatically checked and the item is validated.
- If the verifier selects a rating for the competency item that is below the minimum rating target for the competency, then the competency item checkbox is disabled and the item cannot be validated until the competency item rating meets the minimum rating target for the competency.
- When the verifier saves the checklist, all validated competency items are no longer available for rating or validating. However, the Rating drop-down menu remains available for all non-validated competency items.
- Note: If the observation checklist rating scale includes a N/A rating option and this option is selected, then the verifier can validate an item regardless of whether the minimum target rating is required.
- Display the rating scale in the tabbed panel at the top of the checklist form - Checking this box displays the rating scale on the checklist.
- Hide the results from the user - Choose whether or not the results are visible to the user after the observation is complete by selecting or deselecting the checkbox.
Click the Edit icon to edit the default validation method. See Validation Method - Define Default. The Display Validation Methods table opens, showing the validation methods and descriptions from the default validation method. Here, you can edit the validation name and description and also modify the order the methods display in the drop-down.
- Exclude Method Selection from Checklist - Check this option to not allow users to select a method when creating an observation checklist. If this option is selected, users do not see a method of validation column on the associated checklist or the details of a competency. Verifiers do not see or have the ability to select a method of verification on the Competency Details page. When reporting on this checklist, a method value will not appear in reporting associated with competencies in this checklist.
- Number of Methods - Enter the number of different verification methods to define. This indicates the number of methods available to the verifier. Click Apply to make the methods available for creation. The maximum number of methods is 15.
- If multiple languages are available for the portal, the validation methods can be localized by selecting the appropriate language from the Language drop-down list. The methods and descriptions for the administrator's default language must be entered prior to translating the methods and descriptions for other languages.
- The character limit for a method name is 25 characters, and the character limit for a method description is 100 characters.
- Drag and drop the methods to determine the order in which they display.
- All methods must be defined before the administrator can translate them using the language drop-down. If the administrator does not translate the methods, a task that is created in another language displays the methods defined for the default language.
- When editing, the administrator can modify the validation methods and descriptions, regardless of the checklist status. But, the administrator cannot add validation methods or remove options if the checklist is in a Not Started status.
The modification history is collapsed by default and only displays after a checklist is created. It shows a date and time stamp of when the checklist was modified and who made the modification. Click the down arrow to the right of the Modification History heading to display its contents.
- Click to return to the previous page.
- Click to close this page.
- Click See Observation Checklist - Preferences - Checklist Types . to proceed to the next tab.