SMP Job Pool Task - Succession Chart Step
The Job Pool Succession Chart step enables assessors to create and visualize a succession plan for a position. To complete this step, assessors should review each position and nominate successors for each position.
To open a succession planning task, go to. Then, select the task name.
|PERMISSION NAME||PERMISSION DESCRIPTION||CATEGORY|
|EMAIL NAME||EMAIL DESCRIPTION||ACTION TYPE|
Step Title and Directions
At the top of the page, the step title and directions are displayed, which are configured by the system administrator. Be sure to read the instructions prior to beginning the step.
The following options may be available from the Options drop-down menu:
- Manage Co-Planners - This option is only available if the task is configured to allow co-planners. If co-planners have already been selected, then this option displays the current number of co-planners (e.g., "Manage Co-Planners (4)"). Select this option to view, add, and remove co-planners. This opens the Manage Co-Planners flyout.
- To add a co-planner, select the pop-up icon . This opens the Select a User pop-up, in which a user can be selected.
- To remove a co-planner, select the Remove icon next to the user's name.
- Select the button in the Manage Co-Planners pop-up to save any changes to the co-planners.
- Print Succession Task - Select this option to print the task using your browser. Clicking the option opens the Print window for your browser and allows you to print the task.
- Download PDF - Select this option to generate a PDF version of the succession task. When a task owner generates a PDF, the PDF includes the work completed by the task owner. When a task reviewer generates a PDF, the PDF includes the work completed by the task reviewer.
To print the task:
- Click the Download PDF option from the Options drop-down. This opens the Task Print pop-up. You can either download the task as a PDF or print the task using your browser.
to download the task as a PDF.
- The message in the pop-up changes to indicate that an email will be sent when the PDF is ready.
- The email address is pulled from your user record.
- The Succession Task PDF Notification email must be active and configured in Email Administration.
- If you have downloaded the PDF within the last 20 days, then when you click the Succession task title, the pop-up opens and indicates that your PDF is ready to download.
- Click to print the task from your browser. This opens the Print window for your browser and allows you to print the task.
- Remove Inactive Successors - Administrators may configure a succession planning task to display inactive successors. When this occurs and a potential successor becomes inactive in the system, then they still appear in the succession chart. When inactive successors appear in the succession chart, assessors can select this option to permanently remove all inactive successors within the task.
This option enables the assessor to group the successors by succession metric ratings. When a rating is selected, the columns of the succession chart are updated to display each possible rating, and existing successors are positioned within the column that corresponds with their succession metric rating. The optimal rating is displayed as the first column.
The Group By drop-down contains all Successor Information succession metrics that are included in the Succession Chart step.
This option enables the assessor to sort the successors. The following sort options are available:
- Alphabetically - This option sorts successors alphabetically by last name.
- By Rating - This option sorts successors by their succession metric rating.
To reverse the sort order, select the Ascending/Descending icon next to the Sort By drop-down menu.
Positions and Incumbents
The Succession Chart displays positions in the first column. To review a position's incumbents and nominate successors, select the Review Plan link within the user's card.
If the position has incumbents, then the incumbents are displayed in the second column. If more than one incumbent is available for a position, select the Show All link to view all of the position's incumbents. Note: A backend setting controls whether incumbents are displayed in a Job Pool task.
See SMP Job Pool Task - Succession Chart Step - Review Position and Nominate Successors.
View User Information
To view additional information about a user, select their name or image in the Succession Chart. This opens the User Info flyout.
Pre-populated Succession Information
Succession planning tasks can be configured to pre-populate the most recent succession data. If the task is configured to pre-populate data, then the following data elements are automatically populated with the most recent data:
- Successors - Any successors who are specific to the position (i.e., successors who are not incumbent-based) are automatically populated when the step is opened. The successors can either be from Succession Snapshot or from a succession task. All existing internal, external, and unknown successors are pre-populated. The successor's most recent succession metrics are also pre-populated. If the position has more successors than the task allows, then only the most recently added successors are populated. The succession planner can update the successors as needed.
It is important to note that when a successor is identified for a specific position, the successor's Readiness rating is specific to the position, not the successor's individual succession metric rating.
The following navigation buttons are available at the bottom of the page:
- - This button takes users to the previous step of the succession task. This button is not available on the first page of the succession task.
- - This button saves the assessor's progress and exits the succession task.
- - This button saves the assessor's progress and proceeds to the next step of the succession task. This button is not available on the final page of the succession task.
- Caution: A succession task cannot be reopened once it has been submitted. However, assessors are able to access the task up until the task end date, even if the task has been submitted. - This button submits the succession task. This button is only available when all sections of the task are complete.
When in read-only mode, the available buttons are, , and .
When an assessor attempts to save the Succession Chart step, the system validates all data within the step. For example, the step may be configured so that each incumbent or position must have a minimum and a maximum number of assessors. If any validation is not met, then an error message appears at the top of the step along with the number of incumbents or positions that require attention. The assessor may select the error message to refresh the page to display only incumbents or positions that require attention. This enables the assessor to quickly resolve any issues.