Organizational Unit Localization
Administrators may be able to add localized translations for all standard and custom Organizational Units (OUs) within the portal. This enables organizations to maintain a single OU structure globally while ensuring that users always see the appropriate value based on their preferred language. As a result, organizations are able to more easily build, maintain, and support their organizational structure within the system.
For OUs, the Name and Description fields are eligible for translation. In addition, any OU custom fields that are short text box or scrolling text box are also eligible for translation. Specifically for Self-registration Groups, Description is not supported, so only the Name field is eligible for translation.
Because OU names are displayed throughout the system, any page that displays the name or description of an OU can display a localized translation of the OU name or description.
Custom reports display the localized values for OU names in the User/OU Filters tab, the Sharing tab, and the report outputs. Standard reports, however, display the default translation of the OU.
Because OUs are the underlying foundation of data structures, there are significant considerations for existing clients who are thinking about using this feature. To enable this functionality, contact Global Customer Support.
Upon enabling this functionality, all existing OUs and groups only have a translation for the OU or group's default language. Administrators must edit all existing OUs and groups to add localized translations in order to have the OUs and groups display in each user's preferred language.
- For OUs that are created after OU Localization is enabled, the OU's default language is set to the preferred language of the administrator who creates the OU. This is set at the time the OU is created.
- For OUs that are created before OU Localization is enabled, the OU's default language is set to the default language of the portal's top-level OU. This is typically the Corporate Language, and it is set when OU Localization is enabled.
End User Experience
When an administrator or user is viewing any page in the system that includes an OU name or description, the name or description should be displayed in the user's preferred language. If a translation is not available for the user's preferred language, then the name or description is displayed in the OU's default language.
The localization of OUs and their display throughout the application follows this logic. To assist organizations with the understanding of the functionality and where the impacts of enabling OU Localization will be seen, many of the places OUs are displayed throughout the application are described in these release notes.
Searching by OU
When searching for an OU or group, an OU or group is only included in the search results if the OU or group name matches the search query for the user's preferred language. If a translation is not defined for the user's preferred language, the OU or group is included in the search results if the default translation matches the search query.
Search Results Example
A user with a preferred language of English (US) is searching for positions by name. The user enters "pro" in the Search field and presses [Enter].
The following results are displayed:
- “Junior Project Analyst” - Default translation is English (US), and no other translations are defined.
- “Associate Project Analyst” - Default translation is English (US), and Spanish (Latin America) and French (France) translations are defined.
- “Project Manager” - An English (US) translation is defined, and the default language is French (France).
- “Chef de projet senior” - The default translation is French (France), and no English (US) translation is defined.
The following results are not returned:
- “Software Engineer” - The English (US) translation does not match the search criteria. The default translation (“Programador”) matches the search criteria, but it is Spanish, which is not the user's configured language.
- "Analyste adjointe de projet" - This is the French (France) translation for the "Associate Project Analyst" OU. The French translation is not returned because the English (US) translation also matches the search query, and English (US) is the user's preferred language.