Setting Learner Home as the Landing Page - Use Case
To increase visibility of the Learner Home page, your organization might consider setting the Learner Home page to be the first page users see when they log into the portal. To ensure that appropriate content is visible to the correct users in this scenario, it may be necessary to prepare the portal by using permissions, groups, and navigation link order to restrict users accordingly.
Use Case Scenario
Learner Home can be set as a system landing page, but access to landing pages is determined by division, which does not always provide the level of specificity an organization might require for a landing page. For example, at ABC Corp, the administrator has selected the Learner Home page as the landing page for all users in the Sales division. However, there is a group of users within the Sales division that should NOT be granted access to Learner Home. The administrator would like to exclude this group of users from being directed to the Learner Home, and instead direct them to the portal’s Welcome Page.
To allow most of the Sales division to see Learner Home as their landing page while also preventing a small group of Sales employees from accessing the Learner Home and instead direct them to the system Welcome Page, the ABC Corp administrator performs the following steps:
- Configure the navigation tabs and links for the Sales division accordingly:
- Set the Learner Home Page as the first link under the Home tab.
- Select the Learner Home Page as the homepage for the division.
- Set the Welcome Page as the second link under the Home tab. See Navigational Tabs and Links.
- Via Security Role Administration, create a new security role which includes only the Learner Home permission. See Security Role - Create.
- Create a group which includes all users who should be able to see the Learner Home page. Any users in the Sales division who should not see Learner Home should be omitted from the group. See Group - Create/Edit.
- Assign the new security role (created in Step 2) to the group of users (created in Step 3) who should see the Learner Home page upon logging into the system. See Use Groups to Assign Security Roles.
- Remove the Learner Home permission from the default user security role, if it was ever added. The Learner Home permission should only be assigned to a user group or organizational unit (OU) if the entire group or OU should be granted access to the Learner Home page.See Modify Security Role.
- Ensure that the permission to view the Welcome Page is contained within the default user security role.
With this setup, when sales employees who were assigned the new security role log into the portal, they will see the Learner Home page for the following reasons:
- The Learner Home page is set as the homepage for the Sales division.
- Sales employees who were assigned the new security role have permission to view the Learner Home page.
When sales employees who were NOT assigned the new security role log into the portal, they will see the system Welcome Page for the following reasons:
- Though these users are in the Sales division, and the Learner Home is configured as the homepage for the Sales division, these users do NOT have permission to view the Learner Home, because they were not included in the group that was assigned the Learner Home security role.
- Because these employees do not have permission to view their division's homepage, the system defaults to using the second link under the Home tab as the landing page for these users.
- Groups used in this scenario must be mutually exclusive. If a user meets the criteria of more than one group, they will see both the Welcome and the Learner Home navigation links.
- Users who are set up to see the Welcome Page link when they initially navigate to the system CANNOT access the Learner Home.