Edge Import - Online Course Metadata Load and Feed
An online course is an electronic learning course that can be completed asynchronously within the system. An online course is comprised of SCORM, AICC,or xAPI compliant files that are bundled into a .zip file.
The Edge Import Online Course load type supports the following:
- Online Course Assets - This includes the creation of new, launchable online courses. It is not currently possible to update existing launchable online courses via Edge Import.
- Online Course Metadata - This includes the creation of new, empty (non-launchable) online courses and the updating of the metadata of existing launchable and non-launchable online courses in the system. For the upload of non-launchable online courses, there is no need to have .zip files available.
When loading online course metadata, the following can be used as the unique identifier for each online course:
- Online Course ID - Import new online courses or update metadata of existing online courses using the Online Course ID provided in previous loads.
- Learning Object ID - Update existing online course metadata for courses created from the user interface, previously loaded courses, or courses with many versions.
Create Empty (Non-Launchable) Online Courses
When the Unique Identifier is set to Online Course ID, you have the option to create empty, non-launchable online courses. Online courses with no content are not launchable from the transcript and can be created for historical record purposes only.
Create Launchable Online Courses
The Online Course Metadata load type cannot be used to create a launchable course. However, you can create a launchable course using the Online Course Assets load and then add metadata to the course using the Online Course Metadata load.
Online Course Versioning
- Versioning and “Draft” status are not supported.
- New online courses (launchable and non-launchable) will always be created with version 1.0.
- Edge Import will not trigger any reversioning functionality while updating an online course.
- To update metadata for several versions of an online course, always use the Learning Object ID (not the Online Course ID) and create a record for each version.
Learning Object Availability Settings
Only the following availability related criteria can be loaded using this data load type: