Register an MFA Device with a Secret Unique Key
Users can use a secret unique key to register their device for multi-factor authentication (MFA).
Prerequisites: See Multi-factor Authentication Overview.
Steps to register a device with a secret unique key
- On your smartphone, open the virtual authenticator app.
- In the app, select the "Add Account" or "Manual Entry" option. This may vary depending on the app.
- Enter a name or label for the account.
- Enter the secret key from the Cornerstone MFA page. This will be a random sequence of characters and numbers, such as Q5DADUPKCKOPK6JVJQOZMIVZ7FXHUAYE.
- The app will recognize the secret code and add the account.
- After adding the account to your virtual authenticator app, the app will generate a one-time code. Enter this code into the Cornerstone MFA page to verify the setup and confirm that the virtual authenticator app is correctly set up.
- Once verified, your MFA device is active. Now, each time you log in to your account, you must open your virtual authenticator app to generate a temporary code to complete the login process. See Log in Using Multi-factor Authentication.