All of a user's completed training is eligible to be used for a certification if the training completion date meets the validity period requirements. This does not apply for past registration numbers if the Only the current registration number for any training item will be credited for any given period option is selected for the certification.
When a user registers for a certification, all available training items at the time the user registers for the certification are arranged in chronological order of their completion. These training items are then applied in order to the initial period, assuming they meet any applicable validity periods.
If a user has completed the appropriate amount of training prior to certification registration, and the necessary training completion dates meet the validity period requirements, then the user will become automatically certified upon registration. The certification date is dependent upon the Use this date for initial certification date if all requirements are completed prior to certification registration option on the General page when the certification is created.
- If this option is set to "Certification Registration date," then the user's certification completion date is set to their certification registration date, regardless of when the user completed the training items that are applied to the certification.
- If this option is set to "Last training item completion date," then the user's certification completion date is set to the date on which the last required training item was completed because the training item completion dates are prior to the certification start date.
If the certification has renewal periods, then the renewal period start date depends upon the configuration of the certification.
- If an item is not used because it does not meet a validity period, it continues to be evaluated for every future period to which it may be able to be applied.
- If an item could have applied to a previous period but was not used because there was sufficient training without it, then this item continues to be evaluated for every future period to which it may be able to be applied.
- When a renewal period begins, any completed training that is eligible to be used in the renewal period and has completion dates that meet the validity period requirements are applied to the renewal period.
- If a renewal period begins and the user has already completed enough training that has completion dates that meet the validity period requirements, then the renewal period is automatically completed. If all of the training items have a completion date that is prior to the period start date, then the renewal period completion date is set to the period start date, because all of the training was completed prior to the period start date.
- Users remain in a renewal period until they complete all requirements. This means that a user could potentially be in a status of Expired for a previous renewal period. For example, if it is 2013, the initial period is dated 2010, and the user only has enough items to complete all periods through 2011, then the user is in an Expired status for the 2012 period.
If completed training items are applied to a user's certification after they register for the certification, then these items are applied to certification periods based on which certification period the user is in at the time the training is added. For example, a user is in a renewal period when training items are added to their transcript which have a completion date that is prior to the user's current certification period. These training items are applied to the user's certification; however, the application of these training items begins with their current period. Any items that had been previously applied to earlier periods remain credited for those periods, rather than being replaced by the newly added items.