The Course Catalog enables administrators to search for training items, edit training items, view the Course Console pages for training, and view the Training Details page for training.
Design Note: An updated interface is available for this page, which can be enabled by administrators in Feature Activation Preferences. With the new design, the functionality of the page is unchanged. The new interface will be automatically enabled in production, stage, and pilot portals with the Q3 2024 Release and the legacy user interface pages will no longer be available.
To access the Course Catalog, go to. The Course Catalog can also be accessed by searching for training via the Learning Admin Console.
|PERMISSION NAME||PERMISSION DESCRIPTION||CATEGORY|
|Course Catalog - Manage Screen Resolution||Grants ability to manage screen resolution for courses at the learning object level, via the course catalog. This permission works in conjunction with the Course Catalog - Update permission. This is an administrator permission.||Learning - Administration|
|Course Catalog - View||
Grants access to view the learning objects in the course catalog and enables administrators to view the Course Console and the Popular Requests and Highest Rated widgets on the Learning Admin Console (in conjunction with the Learning Admin Console - View permission). This permission can be constrained by OU, User's OU, Training Type, Training Item, Provider, ILT Provider, User's ILT Provider, and User's LO Availability. This is an administrator permission.
Adding an OU constraint and a provider constraint to this permission results in an "AND" statement.
|Learning - Administration|
|Training Providers - Manage||Grants ability to view all Training Providers (Vendors) and mark them active or inactive as needed. This is an administrator permission.||Learning - Administration|
In the upper-right of the Course Catalog Search page, an Enable Enhanced Search checkbox option is available. This checkbox allows the administrator to choose whether the training search bar uses Traditional Search or Learning Search. To enable the Learning Search engine for the Course Catalog page, select the Enable Enhanced Search checkbox. This checkbox is not selected by default. When the checkbox is not selected, the Course Catalog uses Traditional Search. Note: If the administrator is using Learning Search, this selection is only maintained during the user's current session in the Production portal. After the administrator logs out of the system, the Course Catalog will revert back to using Traditional Search. Note: When Enhanced Search is enabled, a maximum of 10,000 results are available for any single search performed. If more results are required, use traditional search.
For more information about the differences between these search engines: See Learning Search vs. Traditional Search.
Course Catalog - Search
The Search functionality enables administrators to search for training items within the Course Catalog using search fields and filters. You can enter text in the What would you like to search for? field, select training types, enter a course code, select fields and filters in the Refine Search section, and then click the button to process the results. The search results display below the search criteria. See the Course Catalog - View Search Results for additional information.
The main search field enables the administrator to search for LOs by title, keywords and description. In order to search by keyword or description, the administrator can also refine their search and include the desired search term into the Keyword or Description field, respectively.
If no search term is entered and thebutton is clicked, then all available training results are displayed.
LO Type Drop-down
If course codes are active in the portal and the administrator has the permission to view course codes, a new Course Code field displays on the Course Catalog search page. The Course Code field can be used to quickly find a specific instance of training.
Refine Your Search
The Refine your search section provides additional filter options. Which filters are available is determined by the administrator in Search Preferences. See Search Preferences.
The following standard filters may be available:
- Title - Enter search terms to search the Course Catalog by training title.
- Description - Enter search terms to search the Course Catalog by training description.
- Subject - Click the pop-up icon to select a subject. Only one subject can be selected. See Single Item Select Pop-up.
- Provider - Click the pop-up icon to select a training provider. Only one provider can be selected.
Which providers are available to the administrator is determined by the constraints of the administrator's permission to manage training providers. See Single Item Select Pop-up.
- Keywords - Enter search terms to search the Course Catalog by keyword.
- Languages - Click the drop-down menu to select one or more languages. Multiple languages can be selected. Only languages that are available to the administrator are displayed.
- Skills - Click the pop-up icon to select a skill. Only one skill can be selected. See Single Item Select Pop-up.
- Location - Click the pop-up icon to select a location. Only one location can be selected. See Single Item Select Pop-up.
- Credits - Enter search terms to search the Course Catalog by credits.
- Competency - Click the pop-up icon to select a competency. Only one competency can be selected. See Single Item Select Pop-up.
- Instructor - Click the pop-up icon to select a training instructor. Only one instructor can be selected. See Single Item Select Pop-up.
- Session Date - Click the drop-down menu to select a session date. The filter displays only sessions that are set to occur within the selected date range.
- Course Ratings - Use the slider tool to set a course rating range. The filter displays only LOs that have a rating that is within the selected rating range.
- Date Added to Catalog - Use the calendar tools to set a date range. The filter displays only LOs that were added to the Course Catalog within the selected date range.
- Availability Criteria - Use the organizational unit (OU) selector to select the LO availability. Multiple selections can be made. The filter displays only LOs that are available to the selected OUs, groups, and users. Note: In addition to the selected Availability parameter(s), Learning Objects configured as available to "All Users in Corporation" are also returned in refined search results.
- Custom Field Search Filters - Administrators can add custom fields as filters in Search Preferences. See Search Preferences.
Course Catalog - View Search Results
Search results display in a table below the search criteria.
From the drop-down menu, select the appropriate sort option for the Results table:
- By Title - This option sorts the search results alphabetically by title. This option is selected by default.
- Created Date - This option sorts the search results by the date on which the LO was added to the Course Catalog, with the most recently added LO displayed first.
- By Modified Date - This option sorts the search results by the date on which the LO was most recently modified, with the most recently updated LO displayed first.
- By Provider - This option sorts the search results alphabetically by provider.
Selecting the Status filter allows users to filter based on the following training statuses:
- All - Selecting this option displays training in all statuses.
- Draft - This status indicates the online course is in a draft status and has not yet been published.
- Pending Version - This status indicates that the version has been created but is not yet effective, or the versioning has failed. On the effective date (or when the versioning is successful), the status changes to Published.
- Previous Version - This status indicates that the training is an older, previous version, meaning that a more recent version of the training currently exists. A training item in this status can still be on a user’s active transcript, depending on whether or not the users were upgraded.
- Published - This status indicates that the training has been published and is the most current version. Training in a Published status displays to users if active and within their availability
From the filter, select one of the following options:
- Active - When this option is selected, only active LOs are included in the search results.
- Inactive - When this option is selected, only inactive LOs are included in the search results.
- All - When this option is selected, both active and inactive LOs are included in the search results.
Show Courses with Recurrence
Select this option to only include in the search results courses that allow recurrence. This option is unselected by default.
Downloadable Courses Only
Select this option to only include in the search results courses that can be downloaded. This option is unselected by default. Note: This option is only available if the Network Player is enabled.
Created By Me
Select this option to view only training items which were created by you. This option is not selected by default.
The Results table only appears when at least one training item matches the search criteria.
The following information is displayed for each LO in the Results table:
- Checkbox - To batch edit multiple LOs, select the checkbox to the left of the appropriate LOs. Then, click the button.
- Title - This displays the LO title. In addition, the icon to the left of the title indicates the LO type (e.g., event, curriculum, library).
- Administrators with permission to manage the Course Catalog can click the training title to navigate to the Course Console page for the LO.
- Administrators without permission to manage the Course Catalog can click the LO title to view the LO Details page for the LO. See Learning Details Page (Legacy Design).
- Provider - This displays the training provider.
- Version - This displays the LO version. If no version number is available, then this column is empty.
- Language - This displays the training languages.
- Added - This displays the date on which the training was added to the Course Catalog.
- Modified - This displays the date on which the training was last modified within the Course Catalog. If the LO has never been modified within the Course Catalog, this column is empty.
The following actions may be available from the Actions drop-down menu:
- View Details - Administrators can preview the Training Details page for a training item by clicking this link. This option is available for published training and Draft online courses uploaded via Content Uploader.
- Edit - Select this option to edit the Course Catalog - General page for the LO.
This option is only available to administrators with permission to manage the Course Catalog.See Course Catalog - General.
- Assign -
This option is only available to users with permission to assign training.Click the Assign option to begin assigning the training to users via the Learning Assignment Tool.
- View as User - This option is available for published training and allows you to view the Training Details page for the training item.
- Preview - Click this option to preview the training item.
Course Catalog - View/Edit LO
To batch edit multiple learning objects (LOs), select the checkbox to the left of the appropriate LOs. Then, click the
- To select all of the LOs that are currently displayed in the Results table, select the checkbox in the Results table header. This does not select any LOs that are not currently displayed.
- When navigating between multiple pages of the Results table, the checkbox selections are maintained. For example, if a checkbox is selected on the first page of the Results table and the administrator navigates to the second page of the Results table, then the selections on the first page are maintained. If the administrator clicks the button on the second page, then this includes the selections from the first page.
To edit a single LO, click the Actions drop-down icon for the appropriate LO in the Results table. Then, select See Course Catalog - General.. This opens the Course Catalog - General page for the LO. This option is only available to administrators with permission to manage the Course Catalog.
To view the LO Details page for a single LO, click the Actions drop-down icon for the appropriate LO in the Results table. Then, select See Course Catalog - General..