When creating a coupon, administrators can customize all aspects of the coupon, including usage limitations, coupon value, minimum purchases, and more.
To create a coupon, go to. Then click the link.
|PERMISSION NAME||PERMISSION DESCRIPTION||CATEGORY|
Define Coupon Details
Enter the following information for the coupon:
- Title - Enter a title for the coupon, up to 50 characters. This is a required field. This field can be modified after the coupon is saved.Note: The title of the coupon is not used by users. When users use the coupon, they enter the coupon code or prefix to receive the discount.
- Coupon Administration Page - The new title displays in the Title column in the Manage Coupons table.
- Coupon Usage Page - The new title displays in the Coupon Title field in the Coupon Details section.
- Custom Transaction Reports - The new title displays when running custom Transaction reports.
- Coupon History Page - The Title column displays the new title.
- Description - Enter a description for the coupon, up to 500 characters. This is a required field. This field can be modified after the coupon is saved.
- Coupon Type - Select whether the coupon can be used an unlimited number of times or only a single time. After a coupon has been created, the coupon type can only be modified if the coupon has not been redeemed by any user. The following options are available:
- Unlimited - Users can use the code as many times as needed.
- Single Use - Users can use the code only once.
- User-Constrained - Users can redeem the coupon an unlimited number of times between the coupon Start Date and Expiration Date.
- Number of Coupon Codes to be generated - For Single Use and User-Constrained coupons, you must specify the number of coupons to generate. When the code is created, the system generates the desired number of unique coupon codes. Each coupon code has the same coupon prefix, but each has a unique ending. The maximum number of coupon codes that can be generated at a time is 99,999.Note: When editing a coupon code, if the number of coupons that are created is reduced, those codes that are removed have a status of Void and cannot be used. If these codes have been sent out to users, the administrator must inform those users that the code is no longer valid. It is strongly suggested that you do not reduce the number of coupons after the coupon codes are created.
- Coupon Prefix - This field is required. The coupon code or prefix must be unique. If a coupon exists with the same coupon code or prefix, the coupon is not created. All coupon codes and prefixes must be alpha-numeric; no spaces or special characters are allowed. This field can be modified after the coupon is saved.If the coupon type is Single Use or User-Constrained, you must enter a coupon prefix (e.g., Fall11). Each coupon that is generated has the same prefix, but has a unique ending to make the entire code unique (e.g., Fall11-ABC, Fall11-XYZ). The character limit for prefixes is 7.
- Coupon Code - If the coupon type is Unlimited, you must enter a coupon code, which can be used multiple times by many different users. The character limit for codes is 15.
- Offer Type - Select whether the coupon is for a monetary amount or a percentage off of a purchase. This field can be modified after the coupon is saved.
- Amount - Enter the monetary amount that is taken off of the purchase total when the coupon is used. Also, select the currency type from the drop-down list. If multiple currencies are in use on your portal, the coupon will be converted to other currencies according to the currency conversion rate established. The maximum amount accepted for a coupon is 99,999,999.
- Percent - Enter the percentage amount that is taken off of the purchase total when the coupon is used. The field accepts up to two decimal places. The maximum percentage for a coupon is 100%. Note: The decimal is reflected when viewing the transaction in the Shopping Cart, Manage Transactions, and Order History.
- Use Case for Using Decimals: Acme Medical Supplies (AMS) sells training to customers on the operation and maintenance of its equipment. AMS works with a training manager at a distributor to sell the training. The training manager is responsible for managing the process of purchasing the training on behalf of users. The training manager purchases training using a coupon with a discount amount that represents the distributor’s profit. For example, the distributor’s profit for selling the training is 15% of the price of the training; the training manager purchases the training on behalf of the user using a coupon with a 15% discount. If the training is cancelled or if there is a customer support issue for the customer, then the customer gets a coupon for a 10% discount. This discounts represents a discount from AMS to the end user and is distinct from the discount used by distributors. When a student is refunded for a training purchase and then the student wishes to make a new purchase with the additional "customer service" discount, then the training manager needs the four decimal places for coupons. When the training manager makes a purchase for the new class, there are two discounts. One discount is from the distributor and one is from AMS. The coupon that would be needed is not worth 15% (distributor’s margin) + 10% (customer support discount). Instead, the coupon is worth 22.25% (.2225 as decimal). When purchasing the replacement training on behalf of a user, the training manager enters a coupon at the time of checkout that is worth a 22.25% discount.
- Portals with Digital River Integration - For portals integrated with Digital River, this drop-down contains all pre-defined discounts from Coupon Preferences. This enables administrators to map the coupons to pre-defined discounts, which are also mapped to discounts within Digital River.
- Minimum Purchase - Select whether a minimum purchase is required to qualify to use the coupon.
- Not Required - Select this option to not require a minimum purchase. Users can apply the coupon to the purchase regardless of the total.
Amount - Select this option and enter a monetary amount between 1 and 99,999,999 to require users to purchase a certain monetary amount of learning objects before they are eligible to use the coupon. Also, select the currency type from the drop-down list. The minimum purchase amount must be greater than or equal to the coupon discount amount. This field can be modified after the coupon is saved.
- Start Date - Select the date on which the coupon becomes available for use. This is required. This field can be modified after the coupon is saved. Note: Every time the administrator attempts to save a change to the coupon, the system checks to make sure the start date is a current or future date. If the date is not a current or future date, then the change to the coupon cannot be made until the start date meets the date criteria.
- Expiration - Select whether or not the coupon expires. This field can be modified after the coupon is saved.Note: Every time the administrator attempts to save a change to the coupon, the system checks to make sure the expiration date is a current or future date. If the date is not a current or future date, then the change to the coupon cannot be made until the expiration date meets the date criteria. Select one of the following options:
- Does Not Expire - Select this option to allow the coupon to never expire. If a coupon does not expire, administrators can still make the coupon inactive, which makes the coupon unavailable.
- Valid Through - Select this option and select an expiration date to determine the day on which the coupon is no longer available. When this date passes, the status for the coupon is Expired.
- Active - This option only displays when editing or copying a coupon or when viewing a saved coupon. Select this option to make the coupon active. When a coupon is inactive, the coupon cannot be used, regardless of the other criteria defined for the coupon.
When defining the coupon applicability, the administrator selects one of the following options in the Apply To field:
- All Training - Select this option to allow the coupon to be used with any of the available learning objects. Note: When adding a session, if session options appear for the session, then your portal has enabled the ability to configure multiple providers for a session.
- Training Units - Select this option to allow users to apply coupons when purchasing training units. Coupons configured for training unit purchases can only be used for training unit purchases and cannot be used to purchase training items, such as online courses or materials. Note: This functionality is only visible in portals with the training unit functionality enabled.
- Customize Training Types - Select this option to limit the LOs with which the coupon is available. Additional options are available when this option is selected. You can select certain training types, specific training titles, languages, providers, or subjects. Selecting a customized group of LOs to use with the coupon is a good way to tailor a coupon. For example, you can create a coupon for specific LOs or a specific provider in order to promote those items.
The training criteria uses OR logic, so any training items that match at least one of the criteria is included.
Edit Coupon Applicability
All fields in the Coupon Applicability section can be modified after the coupon is created. The updated value is reflected on the Coupon History page.
If the Customize Training Types option is selected, then at least one training type must be defined in the Training Type field.