Linking Similar Skills
Many organizations manage a mix of custom skills with existing Cornerstone skills. They also need to easily map these custom skills to content, roles, and people.
With the February ’22 Release, Cornerstone introduced the ability to link custom skills to equivalent skills in the Cornerstone Skills Graph.
With the May ’22 Release, administrators now have an option to manually link their custom skill to a similar skill in the Cornerstone Skills Graph, ensuring this skill will appear in suggestions and will feed learning recommendations.
What is the difference between Equivalent and Similar?
- "Equivalent" skills are inherently the same. "Similar" skills are neighboring or adjacent skills.
- A Skills Graph skill can only be "Equivalent" to one custom skill. However, a Skills Graph skill can be "Similar" to many custom skills.
- With "Equivalent" skills, only the custom (non-Skills Graph) skill is displayed to users. With "Similar" skills, both the custom skill and the "Similar" Skills Graph skill may be suggested to users.
- Existing custom skills can be automatically matched and linked to "Equivalent" Skills Graph skills. Edge Import Capabilities Library loads attempt to match and link "Equivalent" skills to custom skills upon import. Auto-matching does not occur for "Similar" skills. Any skill that is not automatically matched is flagged in the Capabilities Library so that administrators can manually link the skill if necessary.
- When creating or editing a capability, administrators can manually link a custom skill to a Cornerstone Skills Graph skill by choosing from a set of suggested Skills Graph skills. This manual process is the same for both "Equivalent" and "Similar" skills.
How Does this Enhancement Benefit My Organization?
By linking custom skills to similar skills in the Cornerstone Skills Graph, these custom skills can be mapped to content, roles, and people just like Skills Graph skills.
- Only one skill from the Cornerstone Skills Graph can be linked to a custom skill.
- A Skills Graph skill can only be equivalent to a single custom skill but can be similar to many custom skills.
- When custom skills are imported using Edge Import, any custom skill that has a name that exactly matches or is a synonym of a skill in the Cornerstone Skills Graph, then these skills are automatically linked and set as equivalent. No automatic linking is done for similar skills.
- When a Skills Graph skill is imported into an organization's Capabilities Library, it maintains an equivalent link to the Skills Graph. Therefore, a custom skill cannot be set as equivalent to a Skills Graph skill that is imported into the Capabilities Library. This is to prevent confusion from having duplicate skills in an organization's Capabilities Library. In this scenario, organizations should consider using the existing Skills Graph skill rather than a custom skill.
This functionality is automatically enabled for all organizations.
- Equivalent Skill - Equivalent skills are skills that are inherently the same. A Skills Graph skill can only be "Equivalent" to one custom skill. With "Equivalent" skills, only the custom skill is displayed to users.
- Similar Skill - Similar skills are neighboring or adjacent skills. A Skills Graph skill can be "Similar" to many custom skills. With "Similar" skills, both the custom skill and the "Similar" skill may be suggested to users.
The following existing permissions apply to this functionality:
|PERMISSION NAME||PERMISSION DESCRIPTION||CATEGORY|
|Capability Library - Edit||Grants ability to create, edit, and copy capabilities via the Capability Library. Administrators with this permission cannot delete capabilities or change the status of a capability. This permission cannot be constrained. This is an administrator permission.||Core Administration|
|Capability Library - Manage||Grants ability to create, edit, copy, delete, import, and approve capabilities via the Capability Library. This permission cannot be constrained. This is an administrator permission.||Core Administration|