Prior to this enhancement, Cornerstone HR (CHR) customers had the ability to configure regex validations per custom field to ensure field values match the required formats for data integrity and accuracy. Since employee data specifications & compliance requirements often vary across different regions and departments within the same region, customers with a global workforce had to create new custom fields for each variation.
With this release, organizations can define and configure multiple regex patterns based on OU values. This flexibility enables clients to setup a single custom field with data validation formats based on Division, Location, Legal Entity, or Cost Center OUs.
The following areas are affected by this enhancement:
- Custom field Administration - For Short text or Scrolling text user custom fields, clients can add up to 10 regex patterns and details.
- User record - When creating a new, or modifying an existing user record, an administrator can expand a category that has a custom field with regex validation and see a pattern example displayed under the custom field.
- Forms Administration - Users completing a form that contains a custom field with a regex pattern will see pattern example based on the user's existing OU values if the form includes OU values.
- My Account preferences - Users updating their My Account preferences that contains a custom field with regex pattern will see a pattern sample under the custom field.
- DLW Platform Load & Feed - If an employee record contains mapped custom fields with regex validations:
- Validates data - If the custom field matches the regex pattern during validation, the load file is successfully validated.
- Loads data - If the custom field matched the regex pattern, load file is successfully loaded.
How Does This Enhancement Benefit My Organization?
Organizations can view employee data in the appropriate data format even if it varies across different OUs.
John is a system admin at the ACME corporation preparing to onboard 10 new employee in the Mumbai and London offices. He is aware that each location has different national identifiers with individual data formats that the organization must adhere to for accurate company payroll processing. John is looking for a way to setup multiple Regular Expression patterns for a single field to capture employee identification details for both offices.
Since National Identifier is not available as a standard field, John logs into the Cornerstone system, navigates to User Custom Field administration and creates a new custom field of type Short text. John creates a regex pattern for the Mumbai office setting the criteria as Location = Mumbai, specifies the data format for India's national identifier, and enters details for all other fields for the pattern. John creates a similar regex pattern for the London office using the national identifier and details specific to that office.
In Mumbai and London, when the HR Business Partner is ready to onboard new employees and navigates to New User Record creation, the custom field 'National Identifier' displays sample data specific to the appropriate region to ensure that the correct information is entered.
- Organizations can configure up to 10 OU-based regex patterns per User Custom field.
- Each custom field must have a default regex pattern as a fallback if User's OU values don't match any of the remaining OU criteria. For organizations that configured regex patterns for existing custom fields, the pattern is considered the default pattern which the administrator can change.
- Regex patterns are ranked in order to resolve any conflicts with employees that match multiple criteria.
- OU-based regex patterns:
- Can be created for both Required or Secure custom fields of type Short text or Scrolling text.
- Can only be created for Active custom fields with 'All Users' checked.
- OU-based regex configuration setup including creation, deletion and modification of regex patterns, are audited and can be provided on demand for an organization.
- Changes to OU values on the User Record triggers validations for matching regex patterns.
This functionality is available for Cornerstone HR customers using regex validations for User custom fields on the User Record.
A one-time custom field meta information migration to AWS Aurora DB is performed for each organization. If an organization wants to disable OU-based regex or disable and then re-enable CHR in the future, custom field meta information migration to AWS Aurora DB must be re-performed.
The following existing permissions apply to this functionality:
|PERMISSION NAME||PERMISSION DESCRIPTION||CATEGORY|
|User Record Custom Field Configurable Validations - Manage||Grants ability to manage the configurable validations for user record custom fields within Custom Field Administration. This permission cannot be constrained. This is an administrator permission. This permission is only available to organizations that are using Cornerstone HR.||Core Administration|
|Required User Custom Fields - Manage||Grants the ability to manage the Required setting for user record custom fields. This permission cannot be constrained. This is an administrator permission. This permission is only available for organizations using Cornerstone for HR.||Core Administration|
|Users - Manage Secure User Custom Fields||Grants the ability to manage the setting secure user custom fields. This permission can be restrained by OU, User's OU, User Self and Subordinates, User, User's Self, User's Manager, User's Superiors, User's Subordinates, User's Direct Reports, Employee Relationship. This is an administrator permission.||Core Administration|
|Users - View Secure User Custom Fields - Masked||Grants the ability to view secure user custom field info masked. This permission can be constrained by OU, User's OU, User Self and Subordinates, User, User's Self, User's Manager, User's Superiors, User's Subordinates, User's Direct Reports, Employee Relationship. This is an administrator permission.||Core Administration|
|Users - View Secure User Custom Fields - Unmasked||Grants the ability to view secure user custom field info unmasked. This permission can be constrained by OU, User's OU, User Self and Subordinates, User, User's Self, User's Manager, User's Superiors, User's Subordinates, User's Direct Reports, Employee Relationship. This is an administrator permission.||Core Administration|
The following new permission applies to this functionality:
|PERMISSION NAME||PERMISSION DESCRIPTION||CATEGORY|
|Users - Manage OU Based Regex||Grants access to manage OU-based Regex patterns for user custom fields. This permission cannot be restrained. This is an administrator permission.||Core Administration|