With the October ’20 Release, Learning QR code generation and scanning capabilities are available for the Learn app. Administrators can configure instructor-led training (ILT) sessions to support QR code functionality for easy session attendance tracking. Using QR codes for ILT session attendance streamlines attendance tracking for large sessions and reduces the administrative burden associated with manually managing attendance for large quantities of in-person ILT sessions.
Included in this enhancement:
- Administrators can enable QR code functionality via ILT Preferences (available at the start of UAT) - See ILT Preferences - QR Codes.
- Administrators can enable QR codes for specific sessions, both new and existing (available at the start of UAT) - See Create a Session - Enable QR Codes.
- Users, instructors, and administrators can access QR code functionality via the Learn app (NOT available at the start of UAT, targeted for Oct 9 patch), including the following three tabs:
- Scan - This tab allows users to scan the QR code of a session part to mark themselves as attended
- My QR Code - This tab allows users to present their unique QR code to instructors, which the instructor can scan to mark the user as attended for a session part
- Instructor - This tab allows instructors and administrators to find session parts and scan users into the session part as attended
- Users can access their unique QR codes from My Account in the web version of the system (available at the start of UAT) - See Print QR Code.
- Instructors and administrators can access QR codes for session parts via the Session Roster page (available at the start of UAT) - See Print QR Code.
The mobile components of this enhancement are available in Stage as of the Oct 9 patch. These features will be available in Pilot and Production with the Oct '20 release.
- Click here for the Mobile QR Codes for ILT Session Attendance!
- Click here for the Cornerstone Learn for iOS Starter Guide!
- Click here for the Cornerstone Learn for Android Starter Guide!
Use Case 1: Enablement of QR Codes
Maya is a learning administrator at ACME, and she is responsible for setting up her organization's instructor-led training (ILT). Her organization uses the Learn app heavily and wants to leverage QR code functionality, so she enables QR codes in the portal via ILT Preferences. She also enables QR codes at the session level for each session that should have attendance tracked via QR code. With her configurations, users of the portal can access their unique QR codes from the My Account page, and instructors can access the QR codes for their sessions from the Session Roster page.
DJ is a new hire at ACME. He has recently downloaded the Learn app and plans to use it to scan himself into his New Hire Orientation session, which is a multi-part session that spans two days. Upon arriving at the session location, he sees a QR code printed out and posted to the door, containing information about the session and part he is walking into: Part 1: Company Culture. He logs into the Learn app and taps thelink. He is then able to scan the QR code posted on the door and he receives a success confirmation that his attendance was recorded. After the morning session ends, DJ goes to lunch. Upon returning, he sees a new QR code posted to the door: Part 2: IT Setup. He scans the QR code and receives confirmation that his attendance was recorded.
Use Case 3: Instructor Scans Attendees via the Learn App
Nadir, an employee at ACME, is hosting a Development Day session. It is a two-part session about AWS basics. Knowing his colleagues use the Learn app, and not wanting to burden himself administratively with roster management, he decides to scan all of his registered attendees in via their QR codes from the Learn app. The morning of his session, he logs into the Learn app and taps on the Instructor tab to confirm that both of the session parts are displayed. As his first attendee walks in the room, he taps on the first session part, scans the attendee's QR Code, and receives a success confirmation. He repeats this process for the remainder of the attendees and teaches his session after all his attendees are scanned.
Use Case 4: Administrator Scans Attendees via the Learn App
On the day of Nadir's Development Day session, Nadir was pulled into an emergency meeting and was unable to teach the second part of his AWS training. Luckily, his manager, Alex, was able to fill in for him as the instructor. Alex has permission to view sessions in the portal, so she has access to the Instructor tab in the Learn app. She logs in and searches for the AWS Basics session using its locator number, and is able to scan the registered attendees into the second session part and update their attendance.
This functionality is automatically available to both Android and iOS users of the Cornerstone Learn app. If the apps on a user's device are configured to auto-update, no action is required from the user in order to receive this functionality. If the apps on a user's device are not configured to auto-update, the user must download the latest version of the app from either the Apple store or the Google Play store.
QR code functionality is available in portals by default, but administrator configuration is required to begin using them:
- QR codes can be enabled for sessions in the portal via ILT Preferences. See ILT Preferences - QR Codes.
- QR codes can then be enabled for individual session parts on the Details page of the session creation or edit process. See Create a Session - Enable QR Codes.
The Scan QR Code setting will be added to the Cornerstone Learn app Settings page with the October 9 patch. With the release of this functionality during the October 9 patch, organizations can test QR codes in Stage during UAT, but must wait for the October ’20 Release deployment to use QR codes in Production and Pilot environments.
The following existing permissions apply to this functionality:
|PERMISSION NAME||PERMISSION DESCRIPTION||CATEGORY|
|User - Edit My Account Preferences||Allow users to view and modify their preferences on the My Account screen. This permission cannot be constrained. This is an end user permission.||Core|
|Roster - View||Grants view-only access to instructor led training session rosters. This permission works in conjunction with Events - View and Sessions - View permissions. This permission can be constrained by Instructor, ILT Provider, User's ILT Provider, and User as Instructor. This is an administrator permission.||Learning - Administration|