jQuery Upgrade for Course Launching - Option to Self-Enable
Cornerstone is upgrading jQuery from v1.7 to v3.4.1 to enhance security and resolve known vulnerabilities. With the July 17 2020 patch, administrators can upgrade their system's jQuery libraries via the Feature Activation Preferences page in Learning Preferences.
As part of this enhancement, Compatibility Mode for IE7 and IE8 is being deprecated. This deprecation will be performed gradually, allowing organizations to adjust recent upgrades:
- With the October 2020 release, jQuery will be automatically upgraded to v3.4.1 in Stage and Pilot portals. Options for IE7 and IE8 will be removed.
- With the February 2021 release, jQuery will be automatically upgraded to v3.4.1 in Production portals. The functionality will be deprecated completely, meaning that courses with IE7 and IE8 Compatibility Mode will be migrated to a “None" value.
With the July 17th 2020 patch, administrators can manually activate jQuery v3.4.1 for course launching from the Learning Feature Activation Preferences page. After the upgrade has been activated:
- The jQuery version will be upgraded to v3.4.1 for course launching
- IE7 and IE8 options for the Compatibility Mode field in the Course Catalog and on the Content Launching Preferences page will be removed
- Courses that are associated with IE7 or IE8 compatibility mode are migrated to compatibility mode value of "None"
- Compatibility mode for new courses will be set to "None" by default
- A new Course Browser Compatibility field has been added to Reporting 2.0
Assessing Your Impact
For information about assessing the impact of this upgrade on your system, see: Potential Impact Assessment
For additional help, please see the following resources:
- Knowledge Article - IE7 & IE8 Compatibility Mode Deprecation: jQuery Upgrade for Course Launching
- Cornerstone Success Center Material - IE7 & IE8 Compatibility Mode Deprecation: jQuery Upgrade for Course Launching
Iesha is a Learning administrator who is responsible for managing content for her organization. To ensure the company's portal is utilizing the latest security protection, Iesha wants to upgrade the jQuery library for course launching. Upgrading the jQuery library from v1.7 to v3.4.1 ensures the portal is not subject to a known security hazard. Iesha also wants to test courses that are using legacy jQuery library and to assess what will be the impact of the company's course catalog so he could contact his content provider for issues that may pop up due to the upgrade and the deprecation of Compatibility Mode.
What courses may be impacted by the jQuery upgrade to v3.4.1?
- Courses with IE7 or IE8 Compatibility
- Courses with an empty value, only if the default Content Launching preference is set to IE7 or IE8 compatibility mode
The Activate jQuery v3.4.1 for Course Launching option is automatically available on the Learning Feature Activation Preferences page in all portals using the Learning module. See Feature Activation Preferences - Upgrade jQuery.
The following existing permissions apply to this functionality:
|PERMISSION NAME||PERMISSION DESCRIPTION||CATEGORY|
|Learning Features Self Activation||Grants access to the Feature Activation Preferences page, where an administrator can activate new features associated with Learning, Connect and Extended Enterprise.||Learning - Administration|