Cornerstone OnDemand and edX for Business Integration - Catalog Synchronization
The learning management system (LMS) course catalog is synchronized on a daily basis. New courses and course updates are communicated from edX to the LMS using oAuth 2.0 as the authentication protocol. edX courses are available within 24 hours of enabling the integration, and are classified as online content in the LMS.
- Note: Only purchased courses are synchronized to the LMS catalog.
- Note: All courses are automatically defined as available for mobile consumption and can be used on the Cornerstone Learn app.
The Cornerstone OnDemand and edX for Business integration can communicate the following metadata fields to the LMS catalog:
The unique ID of the course
|Title||The course title|
|URL||The course URL (used to redirect users to the provider’s course)|
|IsActive||Specifies whether the course is available in the edX catalog. When a course is no longer available, it is defined as inactive in the LMS catalog|
The description of the course
|Thumbnail||The course thumbnail image|
|Languages||The list of available languages for the course|
|LastModifiedUTC||The time of the last modification made to a course (UTC)|
|Duration||The course duration|
|Subjects||The list of subjects, mapped to the LMS subject taxonomy|
- Course Title
- Course Description
- Available Languages
- Subjects (Only edX subjects are overridden. Subjects added by the administrator are not affected)
View Courses Loaded to the Course Catalog
To view courses which have been loaded to the Course Catalog using the integration:
- Navigate to and click the link.
- Click the link on the Course Catalog search page.
- Click the Provider filter and choose the edX provider as the filter.
- Click the button. The courses that are returned in the search are courses that were loaded via the integration.
Learner Progress Data
When a learner completes a training item, their training completion is automatically recorded on their LMS transcript. Training progress data is communicated by the User Progress API, protected by the provider's authentication.
The following data is communicated to edX when learners launch edX courses:
|userGuid||The user’s identifier in the LMS|
|sessionToken||The current session token that is used to authenticate the call to the LMS when Basic Access Authentication is used|
|callbackUrl||The Progress API callback path|
|subdomain||Cornerstone’s portal name. Example: company.csod.com|
|registrationNumber||The current user registration number|
- Only courses launched from the LMS can be tracked by the integration.
- Custom fields are defined with an empty value for edX courses.
- The button is disabled for edX courses and can be only edited by edX via catalog synchronization