Coursera - Catalog Synchronization
The learning management system (LMS) course catalog is synchronized on a daily basis. New courses and course updates are communicated from Coursera to the LMS using oAuth 2.0 as the authentication protocol. Coursera courses are available within 24 hours of enabling the integration, and are classified as online content in the LMS.
- Note: Only purchased courses are synchronized to the LMS catalog.
- Note: All courses are automatically defined as available for mobile consumption and can be used on the Cornerstone Learn app.
The Cornerstone OnDemand and Coursera for Business integration can communicate the following metadata fields to the LMS catalog:
The unique ID of the course
|Title||The course title|
|URL||The course URL (used to redirect users to the provider’s course)|
|IsActive||Specifies whether the course is available in the Coursera catalog. When a course is no longer available, it is defined as inactive in the LMS catalog|
The description of the course
|Thumbnail||The course thumbnail image|
|Languages||The list of available languages for the course|
|LastModifiedUTC||The time of the last modification made to a course (UTC)|
|Duration||The course duration|
|Subjects||The list of subjects, mapped to the LMS subject taxonomy|
Coursera’s subjects are mapped to Cornerstone’s Subject Taxonomy. See the table below for the list of subjects communicated to the LMS catalog as part of the integration.
|Technology||Computer-science, Data-science, Information-technology, Physical-science-and-engineering|
|Continuing Education & Certifications||Language-learning, Social-sciences, Math-and-logic|
|Health & Wellness||Life-sciences|
To view courses which have been loaded to the Course Catalog using the integration:
- Navigate to and click the link.
- Click the link on the Course Catalog search page.
- Click the Provider filter and choose the Coursera provider as the filter.
- Click the button. The courses that are returned in the search are courses that were loaded via the integration.
Learner Progress Data
When a learner completes a training item, their training completion is automatically recorded on their LMS transcript. Training progress data is communicated by the User Progress API, protected by the oAuth 2.0 protocol.
The following data is communicated to Coursera when learners launch Coursera courses:
|userGuid||The user’s identifier in the LMS|
|sessionToken||The current session token that is used to authenticate the call to the LMS when Basic Access Authentication is used|
|callbackUrl||The Progress API callback path|
|subdomain||Cornerstone’s portal name. Example: company.csod.com|
|registrationNumber||The current user registration number|
The following data is communicated back from Coursera:
|userGuid||The userGuid the LMS communicated when launching the course|
|courseId||The unique ID of the course|
|status||Shows whether the course is in a status of In Progress or Completed|
|userScore||Shows the course score between 0 and 100|
|totalTime||The total time the user spent viewing the course (HHHH:MM:SS)|
|timesAccessed||The number of times accessed (total). Minimum value: 1|
|completionDate||The date and time the course was completed|
|lastTimeAccessed||The last date and time the user accessed the course|
|successStatus||Indicates whether the user passed or failed the course|
|bookmark||The last location the user reached in the content file|
|suspendData||Additional user experience data|
|progress||The percentage of a course the user completed (integer between 0 and 100)|
|registrationDate||The date and time the user was registered for the course|
Online content metadata can be edited via the Course Catalog. The following fields may be overridden when Coursera sends course updates:
- Course Title
- Course Description
- Available Languages
- Subjects (Only Coursera subjects are overridden. Subjects added by the administrator are not affected)
- Only courses launched from the LMS can be tracked by the integration.
- Custom fields are defined with an empty value for Coursera courses.
- A notification appears at the top of Coursera courses on the Course Console page, alerting the administrator that it is external content which may be updated via automatic synchronization, and manual changes may be overridden.
- The button is disabled for Coursera courses and can be only edited by Coursera via catalog synchronization
- This integration supports SMAL SSO implementation (IDP). No additional integration is required to enable the Cornerstone and Coursera for Business integration, because the following process is implemented: